The Rev. Ebenezer Robson of the Methodist Church traveled on horseback in the 1880’s to conduct services in Port Moody, on ships in the harbour and at Nelson’s Boarding House. In 1886 the Rev. T.C. Thompson of the Presbyterian Church began work at Eburne and Granville. His mission comprised of Moodyville (North Vancouver), Hastings Mills and probably Port Moody. Minutes of the Presbyterian General Assembly of 1898 show Fairview, Central Park and Port Moody constituted a Pastoral Charge. For purposes of supervision, Port Moody was attached to Sapperton.
A congregation was organized in 1899. The first name recorded on the Communion Roll was Mrs. P.D. Roe, whose husband later became the first mayor in 1913 when the city of Port Moody was incorporated. The first name on the Baptismal Roll was Robert Douglas Roe who later became Canada’s Lumber Trade Commissioner in London, England.
Regular church services were held by a student minister in a small building on Clarke Street. A church was built in 1900 opposite (beside ?) the present church building. About 1912 the church building was moved across the street and a basement was added. The old site was turned into a tennis court by Mr. Abernathy.